San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
August 16, 1995
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:20 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Adam Henderson, Elaine Henderson, Gary Henderson, Arnie Robinson, Joni Shirley, Bob Sieben, Jim Skelly, and Elizabeth Tate.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of June 21 as read.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $6462.30 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Robinson reported on the Junior Olympics Track and Field Championships, distributing a summary of expenses. The meet netted about $216. Next year the computers for the finish line will be networked. The Olympic Training Center would like to have the meet back there next year, and the cost for the facility was zero. The possibility of repeating the series of meets leading to the JO Championships was offered, as well as the thought of hosting the Regional Championships.
- The Board discussed the Association Cross Country Championships. SDIAC will front the money.
- Many noteworthy performances were offered. Kevin McCarey set an American M40 record at 3000m at the final All-comers meet of 8:37.7. Monique Henderson won the 200m and 400m at the USATF Junior Olympics with 25.12 and 57.14 marks. Joni Shirley completed an indoor-outdoor W45 1500m National Championship double in East Lansing. Ramona Pagel put the shot 61'-8" for seventh at the World Championships, the highest placing ever by an American woman. Phil Fehlen won the M60 High Jump at the WAVA Championships, and Jim O'Neil took bronzes at both 5000m and 10,000m at the same meet, after having won both at the Nationals.
- Skelly described the long officiating season and solicited volunteers for next year.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.