San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
August 17, 2005
- President Graeme Shirley called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Thom Hunt, Lillian Mahoney, Jennifer Nanista, Sharon Powell, and Wes Williams.
- The Board unanimously approved the minutes of the July 20 meeting.
- Treasurer Lolitia Bache provided a written report stating that the checking account balance was $9,952.29, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000. A major decrease in the balance was due to high Youth Committee expenses for the Association and Region Youth Championships.
- Nanista did not have any major report on Men's and Women's Track and Field. However, she is in the process of trying to schedule a Level 1 Coaching Clinic. She has the specifics on how to conduct it and the teaching staff requirements, which include at least three certified instructors. There are none listed in the San Diego area. Williams volunteered to host the clinic at Cal State San Marcos.
- Hunt reported that the Dirt Dog Cross Country Series starts August 20, with the "Bake at the Lake" meet.
- Hunt also reported that he should have a copy of the 2007 USA Cross Country bid tomorrow, August 18. He will forward it to Shirley when completed. Additionally, after the International Championship location site is announced, the Executive Board is going to hold a teleconference with all members to make the site selection for 2007. Both Greer and Hunt are now members of the Cross Country Executive Board.
- Shirley gave the registration report. As of August 17, the Association had 1575 members (1120 youth, 104 open, 261 masters). The upcoming Dirt Dogs Cross Country Series should help the open and masters numbers.
- Shirley distributed the Youth Coach/Volunteer Criminal Background Screening Program requirements from the USATF website. Association implementation is voluntary in 2006, mandatory in 2007. Shirley plans on placing a link to the website for coaches and other members for feedback.
- In the absence of the Masters chairman, Shirley reported that for the USA Masters Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Honolulu, San Diego had 31 competitors and two officials present. Assciation athletes won a total of 50 medals, 29 gold. He noted that Berry won the M40 200 meter and 400 meter dashes and finished second at 100 meters behind SDSU alum Aaron Thigpen.
- Concerning old business, Mahoney reported that the Nominating Committee did not have a chance to meet in the past month and had no recommendations for Vice President, nor for Youth Chair. She shall be conferring with the other members of the committee for recommendations and provide Shirley with their input so that he can let the board know of their input and review same via electronic means prior to the September meeting. As mentioned in the last meeting, Shirley also provided the board with the election procedure bylaw options and asked for input from the board members prior to the next meeting. He plans to e-mail this information to all the board members those present and not, in order to get a consensus on what, if any, change should be considered.
- The meeting adjourned at 7:49 p.m.