San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
April 17, 2002
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Allen Bowman, Paul Greer, Lillian Mahoney, Toni Mitchell, David Pain, Sharon Powell, Arnie Robinson, Joni Shirley, Jim Skelly, Elizabeth Tate, Pat Thiss, and Chuck Woolsey.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of February 20.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $6814 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Skelly noted that Jay Silvester’s elite throwers clinic attracted a number of top discus throwers, including Aretha Hill and Jason Tunks.
- David Pain gave a presentation on the history of Balboa Stadium. He called the Board’s attention to the Civic Center Act, incorporated into the California Education Code §38130-38139, particularly the definition of “fair rental value” (§38134). Balboa Stadium operates under an agreement between the Community College District, the Unified School District, and the City of San Diego. The agreement established the Balboa Stadium Advisory Committee. Pain recommended relief action in Superior Court to determine the rights, duties and responsibilities of various parties, including the San Diego Track Club, Community Colleges, other clubs, and USATF. The Board approved a motion by G. Shirley to name David Pain legal counsel in dealing with the San Diego Unified School District, and to authorize the payment of direct costs for legal fees.
- Bowman reported on the June 1 Association Open and Masters Track & Field Championships.
- Robinson noted the Cal State Games would be at Cuyamaca College July 6.
- Greer added the Balboa Boogie to the Dirt Dogs Cross Country series. The first race will be the September 7 4-Mile Cross Country. The Championships will be November 16.
- Skelly reported that the CIF meets will be at Valley Center and Poway. A laser-based measurement system will be used for throws at the CCAA Championships.
- Woolsey announced that USATF will soon be releasing a medical manual for meet directors.
- The Board congratulated Joni Shirley for her W55 indoor world record 5:43.96 mile. Also noted was Deena Drossin’s AR 14:54 at the Carlsbad 5000.
- The Board discussed some issues related to a youth club grievance, but took no action.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:40 p.m.