San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
June 15, 2005
- President Graeme Shirley called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President, the attendees were Nelson Alexander, Lolitia Bache, Philip Dunn, Thom Hunt, Paul Greer, Lillian Mahoney, Jennifer Nanista, Rahn Sheffield, and Wes Williams.
- The Board unanimously approved the minutes of the May 25 meeting.
- Treasurer Lolitia Bache reported that the checking account balance was $16,530.32, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Nanista reported that the Association Track & Field Championships are set for tomorrow, June 16th, commencing with the 5000 meter race walk at 2:30. Registration is light in numbers, but there will be high quality fields. The hammer and discus throws will be contested at UCSD on Saturday, June 18.
- The President commended Alexander on the recent Association Junior Olympics Track & Field Championships, noting that although he became the meet director on short notice, that the coaches had worked together to make the meet run smoothly, and there were no complaints or controversy. Nelson, in turn, thanked Williams for the use of the Cal State San Marcos facility when other tracks became unavailable, and for his efforts in setting up the site. 500 to 600 youth registered for the meet. The regional championships are June 24-26, with the Friday events at Cal State San Marcos and the majority of the meet at Rancho Buena Vista High School. 1600 to 1800 youths are expected at the regionals.
- Greer stated that the May 5 Distance Carnival, reported on in his absence last month, did go well and they plan on building it up more for next year. He presented a schedule for the Dirt Dogs Cross Country Series, six races commencing August 20, leading up to the championship November 12 at Morley Field. The schedule should be firm by the end of the week for publication. The Board unanimously approved Greer's motion that the residence requirement for participation should be simplified to state that members of San Diego-Imperial USATF are eligible to compete in the series.
- Hunt gave an update on the progress of the bid for the 2007 USA Winter Cross Country Championships. A consideration in the selection is the site of the World Championships, which has not yet been reported. Other than that, the bid is ready for presentation at the USA National Track & Field Championships.
- Dunn reported that the field for the 5000 meter race walk at the Association Track & Field Championships will feature the favorites for the 20 km walk in the national championships, as well as the two new residents at the Olympic Training Center.
- Shirley gave the registration report. As of June 15, the Association had 1458 members (1078 youth, 155 open, 225 masters), continuing a near-record pace.
- The Board selected the site of the July 20 meeting as the SDSU Athletics Building, fourth floor. Parking will be available in the lot below the track, parking structure 5.
- The meeting adjourned at 7:47 p.m.