San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
August 20, 1997
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Michael DiPippo, Rosemarie Duke, Deborah Fucles, Adam Henderson, Gary Henderson, Christopher Mack, Alan Olson, Arnie Robinson, Joni Shirley, Jim Skelly, Pam Stewart, Elizabeth Tate, and Mark Tate.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of June 18.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $9872.61 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- The President reported that Thom Hunt is organizing the Cross Country Series. The rules are the same as last year.
- A parent lodged a complaint against the actions of a coach of a youth club. The parent will handle the complaint within the club, then the next level would be with the youth chairman if the issue cannot be resolved at the club level.
- Robinson reported on Youth. He informed the Board that there is interest in holding the Junior Olympics Nationals in San Diego. The meet would be for 6000-9000 youth, with considerable officiating help from outside the Association. He has approached the Greater San Diego Sports Authority for support. A bid would probably be for 2001. The Board unanimously approved a motion by Skelly to express its confidence and support for the bid of the Youth Athletics committee to host the Junior Olympics Championships in 2001.
- Adam Henderson and Gary Henderson reported on results from the Junior Olympics National Championships at Southern University in Baton Rouge.
- Joni Shirley reported on a number of local athletes (including herself) winning National Masters Championships at the meet in San Jose.
- Skelly reported that the Officials Association had recently purchased an electronic Trackmaster and measuring bars for the high jump and pole vault. He also noted that the CIF would be splitting the Track and Field Championships into two divisions, then contesting a Masters meet the following weekend for advancement to the State Championships.
- Tate (introduced as the new president of the Starters Association) announced that San Diego-Imperial Youth had been granted charitable organization status under Section 501(c)(3) by the IRS.
- Bernard reported that Tom Waddell, the director of the PCT 50M race, has had an anonymous contributor come forward to sponsor the event.
- Bache reported that Tom Lane had passed away at 103 years of age.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:54 p.m.