San Diego USATF
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
2820 Camino del Rio South 130
April 21, 2004
- President Graeme Shirley called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Paul Greer, Gary Henderson, Lillian Mahoney, George Mathews, Tom Meyer, Jennifer Nanista, Sharon Powell, Arnie Robinson, Rahn Sheffield, Elizabeth Tate, Wes Williams, and Chuck Woolsey.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of March 17.
- Treasurer Lolitia Bache reported that the checking account balance was $19,214.99 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Sheffield reported that the San Diego State track was not available June 19 (nor was UCSD), and that the Association Track & Field Championships would be Thursday June 17.
- Greer stated that the final race of the Spring Road Race Series would be the Run for Literacy May 2, and that he would need a San Diego USATF representative to distribute awards at the race.
- Robinson commended Duane James and Millennium Express for having a well-organized youth meet. He also reported on discussions with the Southern California Association concerning athletes in Riverside County. No agreement has yet been reached.
- Mathews reported on the inaugural World Masters Indoor Track & Field Championships in Sindelfingen, Germany. Throwing events were held outside in cold temperatures. The next edition will be in Austria. The U.S. Masters Indoor Track & Field Championships were in Boston, but will be in Boise in 2005. The final meet of the Team Thor throws series will be May 1. It will be held in conjunction with a high school throws meet, so more officials will be needed. The Association Masters Track & Field Championships will be the Chuck McMahon Meet at Westview High School. Mathews and Meyer will be competing in an invitational age-graded hammer throw in Modesto. There will be two non-age-graded masters events at the Olympic Trials, one for men, one for women.
- Mahoney reported that a world record application had been filed for Isabella Ochichi's 14:53 in the Carlsbad 5000.
- G. Shirley gave the registration report. There are 1247 members, compared to 940 and 936 in 2003 and 2002. Most of the growth is in youth (946, up from 681 and 702). Open is at 138 (up from 115 and 81), while masters have declined (138, down from 144 and 153).
- Bache and J. Shirley announced that the Awards Dinner will be Saturday January 29 at Miramar. The price has not been set.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:03 p.m.