San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
June 20, 1990
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Cindy Cohagen, Linda Gorman, Kevin Heaton, Lee Malsack, Ed Oleata, Jeff Rigdon, Bob Sieben, and Bill Stock.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of April 18.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $16,376.14 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Cohagen reported on progress in the Challenge Series Update. KNSD-TV met with representatives of SDIAC and race consultants and directors to discuss the proposal. Interest by prospective sponsors is greater in the 1991 Challenge Series than in the last half of the 1990 series. Cohagen presented a draft race designation application for review.
- Bache reported that the Junior Olympics Track and Field meet had 325 registrants and a number of record performances.
- Shirley distributed results of four SDIAC championship races (Sue Krenn 15K, El Cajon 20K, Fastest Masters 10K, and the One-Hour Run), plus summaries of the histories of Fastest Masters and the hour run, plus the July Calendar.
- Oleata reported on plans for the July 21 Western Sectional Masters Track and Field Championships. Plans include his being out of the country that day.
- Shirley proposed that the SDIAC Cross Country Championships move from UCSD to Morley Field. The sense of the Board was to move both the open races and the Junior Olympics races.
- The Board discussed the effects of Challenge Series awards on CIF and NCAA eligibility for youth awardees. The problem was not resolved. The President will continue investigating.
- The Board approved Bernard's motion that SDIAC subsidize fees for enrollees in a track and field summer class at San Diego City College. Sufficient enrollment will reserve Balboa Stadium for training.
- Rigdon reported that he will be attending the Level 2 Officiating Clinic in Boulder.
- The Board approved Shirley's motion to make eligibility for scoring in the Challenge Series the same as eligibility for Association Championships. The Board rejected Stock's motion to rescind the previous motion and retain the current restriction on eligibility to SDIAC members.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:35 p.m.