San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
April 19, 1989
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Cindy Cohagen, Linda Gorman, Tim Gorman, Jeff Rigdon, and Bob Sieben.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of February 15.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $13,804.27, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Cohagen reported on negotiations with the Editor of the San Diego Track Club News, Terrie Lafferty, concerning the SDIAC subsidy of the Calendar. SDIAC has a verbal agreement that in return for $2000 annually, the Calendar will feature the SDIAC Challenge Series by placement at the top of the listing of events, and promote these races in the paragraph of highlights which introduces the Calendar. The Secretary distributed the May submission.
- The Board discussed the payment of honorariums by a corporate sponsor to the major open award winners after the awards dinner. These were offered only after the event (the awardees arrived without added inducements beyond their awards), and were made in a manner to avoid having any winners expect such payments in future. Under these conditions, there were no objections by the Board.
- The Board discussed the success of the renewal forms and membership flyers which Cohagen produced. Current membership is 378.
- The board unanimously approved a motion by Shirley to spend approximately $800 for a wind gauge. The intent is to recoup the investment by rentals.
- Gorman reported that the Junior Olympics Track and Field Championships were scheduled, after three date changes, for June 4 at SDSU. The Board unanimously approved a motion by Gorman to waive the Association fee for the meet.
- Shirley noted that the earlier tentative date announced for the SDIAC Masters Track and Field Championships had become June 25.
- Bache reported an offer by the National Women's LDR committee to provide $200 to each Association to pay to the winner of a designated women's 5K, 8K, or 10K Association Championship for travel expenses to the 8K National Championship: The Alhambra Moonlight 8K Oct. 28. The Board unanimously approved Bache's motion to designate the 8K Association Championship (Moving Comfort 8K, Oct. 7) to select the SDIAC representative. The consensus of the Board was that the announcement of this award should be phrased carefully to restrict eligibility to bona fide members from SDIAC, clearly stating that to receive the award, the winner must compete in the National Championship.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:56 p.m.